What We Do
The Sussex Amphibian and Reptile Group (SxARG) was formed in 1986 with the aim of raising the profile and awareness of the amphibian and reptile species native to Sussex and to increase our understanding of them. We are affiliated to Sussex Wildlife Trust and to ARG UK. SxARG helps Amphibians and Reptiles in Sussex by:
- Collecting records and carrying out surveys to establish the distribution of native species
- Protecting important sites by providing advice to landowners and local authorities
- Educating and informing the public through displays, talks and using the media
- Organising field trips and volunteer conservation tasks
- Producing it’s tri-annual ‘newtsletter’. To keep members informed.
- Co-ordinating volunteers to help toads cross roads
- Contributing records to conservation bodies analyzing national population trends and contributing to the national database.
- Rescuing animals in danger
- Representing SxARGs interests on the national Heathland Forum
- Contributing to regional and National conferences concerning amphibian and Reptile conservation.